Tuesday, 11 February 2014

PhD Offer - Bows and Arrows in Eastern Indonesia

Just a quick post to say that I've been given an offer to study for a PhD at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), part of the University of London, in the History of Art and Archaeology (HAA) Department.  I currently have no funding, but I hope to find some this year, and if I don't, I'll find it for next year or start part-time on my own funds.  Either way, I have a place and I have a topic, and I've already started researching it in depth.  My subject is archery equipment in eastern Indonesia, a topic that is much more interesting than it sounds at first hearing.

I'll post the proposal on here in the next few days, along with some explanatory notes (and possibly a plea for money!), but I'll also be posting more about bows, arrows, archery, and prehistory in eastern Indonesia and New Guinea.  I'm going to put up a few snippets of texts that are useful for my research, including a couple that I have translated from Dutch.  There aren't so many relevant texts, but those that are available are surprisingly useful and give good starting points for research without directly answering the questions that have inspired my proposal and my research.

Good news, in any case.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is excellent news. As an avid reader of your blog ( for quite some time now), I must say that there is never a dull moment. You have a knack for clearly conveying information while also showing the reader why learning about a given topic is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy I spent 4 years there in the early 70's as my parents were missionaries on the western side. I have about 5 bows at home with me now and about 100 arrows, also spears and shields, and war drum with other things as well Kinda cool to look at them and relive those days.

    ReplyDelete

You can post anonymously if you really want to, but I'd appreciate it if you could provide some means of identifying who you are, if only for the purpose of knowing who has written what.